6/04/2007

I Have Many Mosquito Bites...

Today is day one of three days off in a row. Yay, days off! I booked today off because of a doctor's appointment this afternoon, I'm never available on Tuesdays (because that's when my doctor's appointments usually are) and, for some lovely reason, I was not scheduled to work on Wednesday. *contented sigh*

If only my 410 class would go away. I left today because I couldn't stand doing another group analysis of a case study. I told my prof I had a doctor's appointment and therefore had to leave at 11. I figured an hour was enough time to spend in the class. I was nearly out of the building before I realized that, since class started at 10:30, I'd only been there half an hour, and I was late on top of that. I laughed out loud when that clicked. ^_^ But there still is the midterm on Wednesday. It was supposed to be tomorrow, but it was pushed back. And there's a case study handout that we have to analyze in advance for the short essay question.

Did any of you who have previously taken 410 have the same textbook as me? It's called "The Ethics of Teaching" and is blue and written by two guys whose last names both start with S, but I can't think of them right now. And the entire book is based on case sutdies, right from the first chapter, entitled "What This Book is About." And it's American, so half the rules don't apply. In case you may not have gleaned this yet, I hate that book. It's meandering and convoluted and contradicts itself even more than the ethical systems it uses contradict themselves. It uses causal chains that first require you to divvy up responsibility for the problem before you can decide what action should be taken when you proceed. While that could be very interesting, it's not the best way to teach the basic concepts, especially when they get the causal chain WRONG! I should ask Dave for the URL for that quiz he took a while ago. It gives you a bunch of scenarios, and, for each one, it chooses a chacter and asks you to what extend (on a scale of 1 to 10) that character is responsible for a certain thing. There are no right or wrong answers--you get to compare your answers to the averages at the end. But it helps immensely with how to think of responsibility, a skill which the authors of this book don't seem to have much of. *harrumph*

[/rant]

In other news, there should be a solid date for the dinner party soon. Morgan, I promise I'll tell you as soon as I can! And Angela, so that you guys can work out the whole work thing.

It's really hot outside, but I have to wear slippers in my basement because it's really cold down here. We got our air conditioning activated, but it seems to never be cool enough upstairs, while being quite chilly downstairs. My dad is usually upstairs, and he can't take the heat, so the air conditioning gets cranked. I suppose nobody else is home right now, so I could fiddle with the settings, but I'm not entirely sure how, and my dad could be back at any time. Oh, well. I like my slippers. :-)

I think it's time for me to make myself some lunch. I have been subsisting on Raisin Bran and Easy Mac for the past while, and I think I shall continue that. Homemade hamburgers for dinner tonight, though. Tasty. :-)

1 comment:

Jo said...

Dinner Party?