7/26/2007

Stupid Dying

I think this is a record for longest amount of time between posts for me--20 days. I apologize if anybody has been checking back a lot, waiting to see what my next words would be. Not that I believe in the slightest that somebody would do that.

I am feeling bummed. My grandmother had a heart attack on Saturday that ended her near-comatose state of Alzheimer's and replaced it with death. We saw it coming years away, but it's still very sad. The Alzheimer's made her all not there, the heart disease killed her, and the lung cancer was probably annoyed that it didn't grow fast enough to wreak its share of havoc. Also last weekend, my grandfather fell backwards twice when his knee gave out. We figure that the second fall is what caused the bleed in his brain that the doctors found when he was taken to the hospital, because if something else caused the bleed, then the stroke he had yesterday makes very little sense. I don't know how extensive the damage from the stroke is, but I don't think it'll wind up really mattering because my grandfather now has to have a tube down his throat so that he doesn't asperate saliva into his lungs, which I figure is a pretty good indication that his overall health is pretty crappy. My aunt is concerned that he didn't cry about my grandmother's death, but my mom thinks it just gave him permission to give up. Regardless as to pseudo-spiritual beliefs about the forces surrounding death, I am sad.

Today I must do laundry and pack, because there is now travelling to be done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about your losses, Janita. it must be hard to lose two people you care about close together. *hugs*