3/06/2008

I May Still Be in School, but at Least I'm Studying Neat Stuff

I have the Ligeti pieces for my paper in front of me. The paper is due in 25.5 hours. The String Quartet Number 2, Third Movement, actually looks pretty straightforward. Most of it is hemiolas, rather than phases. (Edit: *kicks self*) The Etude 9: Vertige will be more difficult. They've simplified the notation in the music I have, so that each cascade of notes isn't beamed separately after the four "bars." The in-class paper I wrote was infinitely easier because I had a handwritten copy of the score I was writing about, whereas most of the rest of the class was using a printed version that didn't have any submetrical "bar lines" written in. The Vertige is based on a concept that's easy enough to understand, but I think I'm gonna go see if I can find another version of the score (though that's not likely--people don't like to post sheet music online if it's still under copyright, or if they're trying to sell it).

So that was the first look I've taken at the music, despite earlier insistences that I was about to go work on it. I'm feeling much better about this paper now. All I have to do between now and when the paper is due (except, of course, write the damned thing) is go to rehearsal for an hour and a half tonight, and spend three hours on my Directing class, one negotiating with my classmates about who will cast which actors from the auditions over the past two days, and two hours immediately after actually in class, playing with my ground plan for my scene. I managed to get a script and choose a scene, though not until early yesterday afternoon. *meek look* I'm doing most of Act 2, Scene 4, from Arthur Miller's last play, Broken Glass. I like it. Now, if only the negotiations weren't at 8am tomorrow... I'm not sure how much sleep I'll be getting tonight. ^_^

New contender for creepiest line ever, from a play by Harold Pinter (didn't catch the title):

Interrogator: This is my big finger. This is my little finger. How many times were you raped?
(Prisoner: I don't know.)

The kid in my class who's directing that got almost everybody who came to auditions to do some part of one of the interrogation scenes. I told him we were going to leave scarred.

2 comments:

Joyce said...

it's called one for the road. =)

'Nita said...

Oh! That makes sense! The thing with the tongue is disturbing, too...