3/03/2008

Monday

I have had a productive day so far. I woke up in time to eat a proper breakfast *and* stop for coffee on my way to school. In fact, I got to school a tad early, which was slightly awkward, as I had to go make an announcement in a Drama 102 class, and I wound up kind of standing around there waiting for it to be 9:00 so I could do so. The announcement was for the auditions for actors for the final scenes for my Directing class (ooh, four "for"s). The 102 class is the version of play analysis that everyone and their dog can take, so I'm hoping some people sign up for auditions who we might not have considered as potential actors.

Stupid fact: Our final scenes will require us to spend fewer hours in rehearsal than our midterm scenes did. We each had to act in two scenes in addition to directing our own for our midterm, and with 8-minute scenes, that worked out to 24 hours of rehearsal. For the final, though, our scenes have to be 12-16 minutes, so that's only 12-16 hours of rehearsal. We have to make an entire workbook, though, so it'll be as much work, but not all of it will have to be with other people at scheduled times (thank God).

I haven't decided what scene I'm doing, but I have to have it chosen by the auditions tomorrow evening. I'm thinking of doing a scene from Arthur Miller's "The Creation of the World and Other Business," or whatever the exact title is. It depends on which scripts I can get ahold of. If worse comes to worst, I'll do something from Death of a Salesman, or maybe Pinter's The Lover. I know at least one other person is doing a scene from that play, but I actually have a copy of that script. *ponders*

I dealt with Faculte Saint-Jean. I went to talk to someone last week, and they wrote down what I was concerned about with the marking and said that they'd talk to the prof and for me to come back today. I did, and I was told that, despite the fact that the situation could be considered unfair, it was the prof's perogative to mark assignments as he saw fit. I was thanked for my input, since things like this are considered during staff evaluations. I considered going back and talking to the U of A admin to get my Spring term stuff sorted out, but I had other things to do.

Those other things included buying new shoes, since mine were cracked on the bottom and melting snow was making my socks wet. I found a very comfy pair at The Shoe Company, and I also bought myself a cute pair of Keds because they were on clearance for $15 and they'll go well with jeans. ^_^ Then I went pillow shopping. That's not a fun task. My pillows were starting to get all bunched up and uncomfortable, though, and it's been affecting my sleeping. You can spend a ludicrous amount of money on pillows. I wound up buying pretty basic pillows, but they're "gusseted," so they're more even and not as "pregnant"-shaped. I can't believe I'm discussing pillow types in my blog, and that doing so requires me to use quotation marks...

I'm now off to do some work on my Theory paper that was supposed to be due tomorrow, but everyone in Wind Ensemble begged for an extension because they went to Calgary this weekend, so now it's due on Friday. It's on two Ligeti pieces (he's a kind of weird post-minimalist for those of you who don't know). Essentially, we have to answer the questions "What is it and how does it work?" for each piece, then compare the pieces. I don't anticipate this to be very difficult, especially with this only being a 6-page paper, but I'm reluctant to really do any work on it, since it requires such a fine-tooth comb approach, and right now I'd rather nap. ^_^

No comments: