7/31/2005

P.I.T.A.

So I was hoping to print off those pictures from Pri's album. My computer isn't connected to a printer, so I used my parents' computer. The first obstacle was that the computer no longer recognised my JumpDrive. I tried both USB ports, rebooted the damned thing, no luck. It knew that there was something plugged in, and it even knew what it was called, but I couldn't access it, just eject it.

But I moved past that, e-mailing myself the photos. Three cheers for my resourcefulness! I go to enlarge the photos so that they're 4x6s. This, however, requires a few tries, since I was stuck using MS Paint. I tried using the photo editing sotware that came with my mom's digital camera, but it does jack all. I discovered this a few days ago when I tried to use it to crop the photos. It forced me to take a break for these past days. "User-friendly" software may have me worrying about my blood pressure soon, despite the fact that it's usually extremely low.

Anyway, I enlarge the photos to the right size. I even find a small use for the stupid photo editing software with it's "Auto Enhance" function. Then I go to print. Of course, by this point, my photos are completely mauled. Since I cropped so much of them off, enlarging them to 4x6s made them all pixellated and grainy. I am left with a choice between grainy photos and too-small photos with lots of unfilled space. Argh.

Anyway, I got frustrated and ran out of paper (and didn't feel like getting any more) after completing this process on only four photos. There are ten more. So, before I lose my mind completely, I extend this plea: Does anybody know a better way of doing this? Right now, the only way I can think of is to send the pics to London Drugs or something online and ask them to crop them to 2x3 ratio and print them as 4x6s. This would be an improvement from the originals, but you often lose part of the picture this way, and if often doesn't crop as much as you want. See, this is why I still don't own a digital camera. And when the time comes that I buy one (because, let's face it, they're not going away), I will make sure to get one that supports 2x3 ratios!!

Grrr...

No comments: