10/05/2008

London So Far

In case you hadn't noticed, I'm alive and in London. I don't have crazy amounts of time here, so I'll just give a quick rundown of stuff. =)

The flat
Gorgeous flat, vaguely unpleasant neighborhood. Very pretty hardwood floors and lots of space. A dishwasher (!!) and a washer/dryer combo machine. A small shower and a large tub. We're in the East end, which is largely South Asian and kind of run-down. Lots of Halal fried chicken fast food places. I think I'd be willing to get a worse place in a better location. 7 minutes walk to the nearest train (DLR) station, which I worry will feel longer during the winter.

The city
I love the central/downtown area. It's interesting and bustling. I plan on visiting many museums in the near future (yay free admission!). There's a flagship Gap store in Picadilly Circus that I'm considering applying for a job at (though I'm not sure if I'm going to start work just yet).

The practical details
We finally have dishes, cookware, cutlery and bedding. Apparently, someone is going to be bringing over a coffee table (yay, but vaguely odd). I think the place is entirely furnished in Ikea stuff, including the series of asian-ish paintings on the wall. We do not have the internet yet, but I am getting a smartphone tomorrow with a data plan, so I will have access to my e-mail (glory hallelujah!). Currently, I'm at the LSE library using Peter's internet access.

I'm more homesick than I expected to be, and I miss everyone muchly. I hope you're all doing well. Updates should be coming more regularly in the near future once we get internet at the flat. Hugs to all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*hugs*
*more hugs*
*bear hugs*
*super hugs*
*hugs*