2/04/2009

Post 420

Hello, fine people! Welcome to my Wednesday afternoon! I would say that all's quiet, but it's really not--Chris is watching some sort of action movie in his room, and I don't know how he can stand it so loud, since it's too loud for me and I'm in the next room and am hard of hearing.

In good news, for those of you who haven't heard, my computer has been returned to me, and it's happy. This makes me happy. We have much catching up to do. =)

I've found a job at the Canadian Embassy/High Commission to apply for. Writing cover letters is never something I've been good at. But it's a neccessary evil. The whole application process has been a fair amount of trouble. I have to submit this form detailing what kind of UK work status I have, but it can't be submitting online, so I have to print it off and then scan it so that I can submit it as a PDF with my resume and cover letter (one of two formats they're willing to accept, the other being .doc(x)). Thankfully, Peter has access to both a printer and a scanner at the LSE, neither of which we have here.

Speaking of Peter and computers, he managed to spill wine all over the keyboard of his laptop the other day. The keyboard no longer works, but I half suspect that that's because he took it apart to let it dry. It's not too much of a big deal, though, since it works fine if he just plugs in a USB keyboard. It's British keyboard, though, so the keys are different, but the computer is set to a North American layout, so not all of the keys type the symbol that's on them. Its kind of amusing. It's also a very loud, clacky thing. I was teasing him about that yesterday. ^_^

In an embarrassing development, while my computer was away, I bought the book Twilight to read. While I wouldn't call it good literature, it's kind of addictive, and now I want to buy the others. I'm trying to tell myself that I shouldn't spend the money, but I don't think that argument will be sufficient. Silly teenage vampire romance. I remember I actually had a book of teenage romance short stories when I was younger. I read them, but it was never something I was into. The picture on the cover was a close-up of two hands clasped as a young couple walked into a sunset. It was horribly cliched.

Onto more relevant and happy things. Peter and I ordered an espresso machine over the weekend. It uses pods, but it seems that most machines over here do, so oh, well. It was cheap. Normally 165 pounds, we got it on special--the machine and a box of pods for 100 pounds. And it's new, not refurbished like the other ones we were looking at for that price. And the reviews sounded alright, plus it comes with a warranty of one or two years, I can't remember which, so if there's anything particularly wrong with it, we can get it fixed. I am so very looking forward to having a source of coffee at home. =D

I think that's about all that's new right now. I hope everything's going all right with everybody else. Keep in touch and all that. =)

No comments: