12/30/2006

Dirty Jeans: My Memento Mori

So the past week has been full of food. Lots of food. First Christmas dinner, then another Christmas dinner at Peter's place, then another Christmas dinner last night at PRi's, and tomorrow is New Year's Eve and there will be yet more food. I can't feel my stomach muscles...

Actually, that last paragraph more or less sums up what I've done since last posting. I guess I went shopping. I got a long hoodie from the Gap for $13 yesterday. I was surprised and very happy. :-) I'm trying to decide what to get myself now that I've returned the Gilmore Girls Season Five DVD set Peter bought me. I love that show, but if I have one seaon of it, I'll feel compelled to have all seasons of it, and that would be a little over my budget in terms of money and DVD storage space. I'm considering buying a couple of the X-Files Mytharc boxsets, since I can get two of the four with the credit from what Peter got me along with the gift card from Chris. But they seem rather redundant, even though I'd love to hear any attempt at explaining the incredibly twisted conspiracy plot that show had. Seriously. It just doesn't make sense. I love that show dearly, but it doesn't make sense.

Wow, I can ramble. I think I'll do laundry today. I really need to do that. I've been extending my time between ddoing laundry by wearing new Christmas clothes, but I've kind of run out of those now. Oh! That's what else I did this week! I went to Vermillion for Jenilee's grandmother's funeral. Not that that's directly related to laundry--I was going to remark that I'd even gone through a lot of my fancier clothes, and I remembered that I'd dressed up for the funeral. I think half the population fo Vermillion was there. Apparently, four people died on the same day, and so the bizarre and morbid part of me imagined a bunch of people going out and buying new outfits for a couple days' worth of funerals. You can always use a nice black dress or skirt. ^_^

I don't think I mentioned my grandfather, either, come to think of it. A couple of days before Christmas, he fell and fractured his neck. He's not paralyzed or anything, but he's very sore, especially since he fell five times in two days and had to wait about an hour each time for something to hear him calling for help so that he could get up. My aunt who lives out in Winnipeg is making him stay in the hospital until we can get him into a nursing home. We're trying to get him into the same one as my grandmother's in, but there's still red tape and such to deal with. And now my mom and her sisters have to go clean out the apartment in the retirement complex my grandfather was living in. A year ago, they had to clean out the house they'd finally decided they could no longer stay in. My grandmother stayed in the retirement complex for only a few months before needing to go to the nursing home. I've been saying that they'll die any time now for the past three years, and it just keeps getting more and more likely. *sigh* I hope it doesn't happen during my APT, because then I wouldn't even be able to go to the funeral.

This is depressing. I think I'll got play with my dog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup, Wade is definitely the one who's changed the most. We have a family portrait that was taken when I was around grade 8, and he's the only one who looks appreciably different.

For christmas, I was totally spoiled. Trevyn's mom's brother and mom live in California, so we went down to visit them. It's rather strange to go swimming outside first thing on Christmas morning... Now I'm in BC with my parents.

My break's been awesome. I'm going to have to set aside a day or so to work on my thesis and some marking stuff this week, but otherwise it looks pretty relaxing.