11/06/2006

Bypass the Release Mechanism

I just caught up on my blog reading. I haven't done that in a while. I hadn't seen any of the enitre front page of Jo's blog. I hope Jazz lives! I actually listened to people have a conversation about how bettas don't die easily today. ^_^ And yay, Morgan, on your job! Working equals money equals being able to live and stuff.

On a similar note, I had a bad weekend. I got Lindsey Coulter to cover my shift on Friday because I just couldn't do it. I woke up just before nine that morning (I don't have class on Fridays) to the sound of my dad yelling. I tried to stay asleep, and he kept yelling. Just after ten, my mom came in to give me the all-clear and started crying. Turns out, the builders had put the duct for the vent hood over our stove in the wrong place in the wall. And they're saying it's my dad's fault. I have no idea what the specifics are, and I don't care to know, but my mom has been coming into my room and crying quite a lot lately. She has trouble dealing with my dad when he gets stressed or upset or anything like that, especially if she's also stressed. Three cheers for being my mother's therapist.

On Saturday I did go to work, and I was angry to discover that I was on reception. I had asked the logistics manager for more shifts in the Jazz and Classical room. The shift Lindsey had taken the night before was a cash shift, and, in total, only 45% of my assigned hours for the month were in CDs. I was not happy. The logistics manager showed up, though, which is worth noting because he doesn't work weekends, usually, and he was chill and whatnot, and he cheered me up. I didn't mention my annoyance to him. He was around to move CD shelves because of renovations that started today. The area that used to house the clearance section, as well as the reception desk and the Entertainment Playground Theatre area is being walled up and converted into backroom area. The Jazz and Classical room is being re-expanded. I was quite excited when Lindsey told me about all of this.

Anyway, so once I cheered up, I was all productive. The general manager asked me to clear out the reception counter because we were moving the reception area that day, but after he told me to do that, he disappeared and the logistics manager went home, so nothing actually got moved. And since I had been all productive and whatnot, I ran out of things to do and got bored. So I sat around being bored for a while. I text messaged Joyce about the ironic contrasts within my work day. And then I got laid off.

Seven people were let go due to budget problems, all from the CD/DVD department. I was not exactly thrilled. It's on good terms, though. They're giving me severance pay, and if I call them on Thursday, the manager says they'll have another job opportunity set up for me with another company. That part surprised me. It makes sense, though, since everybody in the city is desperate for employees. I was especially taken by surprise with the being laid off because I didn't think that happened these days in Alberta. I'm not sure if I'll take another job, though, since I start student teaching on the 20th, and another job probably won't have anything to do with my degree.

I had already made plans to go to dinner with Jenilee and Peter that night, so I did, and I had a good time. I crahsed at Peter's place because my contacts were really bothering me and I didn't have my glasses, so I couldn't drive myself home after taking my lenses out. I woke up the next day and discovered why my leneses were bothering me--the right one, at least, was ripped all to hell. It probably happened when I was rubbing my eyes while crying after losing my job. I made it out the door, though, which at least one girl didn't before she broke down into tears. I feel bad for her. Anyway, Peter drove me home so that I could get my glasses.

My mom was not in a good mood when I got home, and I wound up being stuck there for a while doing cleaning before I could drive Peter home. He was not impressed. My mom had put bedding on my bed, and in the process had switched out my pillows that I had especially chosen and bought and wanted to keep. Getting them all back into my room (and the other ones out of my room) was not something my mom approved of, however, and she tried to kick me out of the house. As in tell me I could no longer live there. Again. She gave up on the notion really easily, though, which makes it kind of worse in a way, since she's throwing around big threats like that more and more casually. She was very affectionate by dinnertime. Three cheers for being my mother's six-year-old.

Today I've been feeling sick. I've been all nauseated and dizzy and I've had this weird kind of fuzzy headache, and I can't tell which of the three is causing me to have trouble focusing with my vision. I nearly asked Peter to drive me home this afternoon, not sure I was feeling well enough to do it myself. I had things to do, though, so setting the precedent that I wasn't good enough to drive would mean that I'd get absolutely nothing done, so I toughed it out. This evening, I went over to Peter's place and we watched Prison Break, and as I was driving him over to his mom's place afterwards, I realized that I have a flat tire. And no spare. So I drove the couple blocks to his moms, left my car there, had Peter drive me home, and tomorrow morning I'm going to get my dad to drive me back to the old house on his way to the hospital (I don't know why he'll be there) so that I can catch a bus to school. There's no bus service out by our new place yet. It'll take a couple of years, at least. *sigh*

On the plus side, I have now moved everything of mine out of the old house. Except for a pair of "boyfriend" pillows that I guess I'll put in the garage sale pile. There was a showing tonight. I have no idea how it went, but hopefully the answer is "well." It'll be nice having all my sweaters and cardigans and whatnot close at hand again, now that I've brought them over. I've been cold lately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Janita! Sorry to hear about your terrible weekend! Hopefully all goes well with your job and stuff....but don't let it get in the way of your student teaching. The hardest thing I had to do was give up work for a couple of months during my senior practicum...and I am glad I did. You can concentrate on your student teaching, and enjoy it too. If you have to work, try to find something temporary and flexible, so you can still make money but not let it interfere with school. Things will sort themselves out in the end even though it sometimes doesn't feel that way! Keep in touch!