7/28/2008

Friday Was Good

It's about quarter past two in the morning, but my sleeping patterns lately have been such that I am not tired right now. In fact, I'm rather bored. I am looking forward to tomorrow, when I have the house to myself for a large part of the day, and can therefore get things done. For some reason I have it in my head that it's supposed to rain tomorrow, and that makes me want to spend some time playing the piano, perhaps in between loads of laundry.

Friday was as excellent a day as I had hoped. I loved the X-Files movie. I can see how some people might be annoyed at the fact that it wasn't epic, but I'm glad that they focused more on the characters and their relationship and their future. It was kind of a way of fixing what the last two seasons of the show did. They didn't bring anybody back to life or kill off anybody who had been in the series. In fact, they didn't really retcon anything. Obviously, things happened between the last scene of the series and the start of the movie (most notably that Mulder and Scully allowed the world to know they weren't dead), but nothing actually changed. I still haven't forgiven Chris Carter for killing off the Lone Gunmen, though.

Seeing people Friday night was most enjoyable. It made me think that Peter and I really need to get working on planning our going-away party. I'm thinking that Saturday, September 6 would be a good day for it. Peter and I also have to look at flights. And I'm going to stop thinking about this now because it's stressing me out.

We stole an idea from Dave and Sheryl and did a beer tasting on Friday night. The idea was to see which beers we actually liked in a blind taste test. The winner was a Dutch beer I'd never heard of. Stella came in second. They were all lagers, apparently, and I'm not a huge fan of lighter beers to start with, so I was kind of meh about most of them. It kind of bugged me that we were tasting beers I'd never heard of, rather than tasting more common beers to test our possible prejudices. A lot of the beer choices were dictated by what was available in singles, apparently, as well as keeping all the beers similar so that we couldn't guess which was which. To me, it kind of missed the point. It was still fun though.

Sean mentioned on Friday night that he wanted to try making beef wellington before going back to the states (because this way his parents could pay for it), and so on Tuesday he, Peter, Jeremy and possibly Eric and John are going to go to Sean's house and make beef wellington, puff pastry from scratch and all. I think they're crazy, but whatever makes them happy. As my mom pointed out, they could be going hunting instead.

In other news, my dog has Cushing's disease. I'm not entirely sure what all of the implications of that are, but my mom has decided that, despite not going for the surgery, Farley should start taking meds for it. I agree. He is currently asleep over by my bookcase, unaware of the odd name of the ailment that we had originally called "old age." And now he's barking in his sleep. ^_^

No comments: