12/27/2007

The 27th

It's the day after Boxing Day, which is also my parents' wedding anniversary. My dad is hoping to go out somewhere nice for dinner tonight. I have declined to join, if only because overeating is significantly unappealing in the post-Christmas bloat.

Christmas was quite wonderful, except for one thing. I had a stubborn migraine that started on the afternoon of the 23rd and didn't go away until last night. It didn't hurt, but it did make me feel nauseated and out of whack. I actually had to call in sick to work yesterday, and I've spent most of the past few days taking many naps, since I felt better for a couple of hours after sleeping. Luckily, by last night I was feeling better, and I seem to be doing just fine today, so my 9-hour shift at work tomorrow should be entirely doable.

As for the actual Christmas part of Christmas, it was most excellent. I got a lot of clothes from my parents. Peter gave me Season 3 of Boston Legal. I think I'll have him keep it--I can't bring myself to collect more than two series at once, and I don't own seasons 1 or 2. The gifts from Andy and Simone were very unexpected. Peter and I were given a down comforter and cover. I have no idea why. Peter always insists on having his own blanket so that he can wrap himself all up in it, and an uber-warm blanket isn't really something you think of buying in preparation for moving to California. It's a very nice comforter, but I don't get it. ^_^ Also, Sheryl and I each got a sterling sliver necklace from Birks. I think that was Simone's idea. I unwrapped the gift and saw a Birks box, and thought "Oh, hey, they used an old box for wrapping." Then I opened the box and saw a Birks display box inside. I was floored. It's a very pretty necklace with two kind of warped hoops as a pendant. Sheryl's is a kind of slip-chain, which she joked that Dave can use whenever she gets out of line. ^_^ It's very weird being given nicer jewelry by your boyfriend's father than your boyfriend has ever given you...

Food was good. Christmas pudding with Creme Anglaise was delicious. Simone made more cranberry sauce than you can shake a stick at. Andy did a similar thing with vegetables. We barely put a dent in the 25-pound turkey, and I imagine that leftovers will be sitting in the fridge for some time to come. ^_^

Peter, Dave, Sheryl and Wendy (Peter's mom) headed down to Calgary yesterday morning to see their uncle, aunt and cousins on their mom's side. I was left to recover at Andy's. Waking up at 7 am to call in sick to work is not pleasant when you're nauseated and disoriented. I then proceeded to sleep until after 11, though, which helped. =) Peter et al. should be back this evening, but what with the snow and such, I'm wondering if they might not just stay down there an extra day. I don't think Dave and Sheryl have to be at work tomorrow. It was snowing pretty heavily this morning, and Wendy is a pretty cautious driver. It may still be snowing--I can't tell with everything outside being a solid wash of white.

My only complaint about this Christmas, other than the migraine, is that it did not include my mom's stuffing. It is, in fact, the best. ^_^

No comments: