9/07/2006

Metricumalation

At school. Classes have been all right so far. Long, though. I think my shortest class, except for a couple of labs that I only two of per semester, is two hours. The others are two and a half hours. *sigh* Oh, well. It helps me to focus when I'm not expecting a wind-down for another hour and a half.

My EDSE 322 Drama class that leads into my student teaching is actually pretty good. The prof is totally Francine from American Dad, both in looks and voice. And in sunny disposition, though I'm not sure if she's psychotic underneath yet. I was actually playing "Yes, Let's!" with some energy yesterday morning. Not really with any enthusiasm, but, given that I hate that game with a firey, firey passion, I'd say that energy is impressive enough. Plus, there's a coffee maker in our room that the prof intends to use for us. :-)

My first Ed Psych class wasn't quite as pleasant. It's 301, and it's called something like Inclusive Education and focuses on students with disabilities. The prof has her head a little too far into her own subject, which, as I have said before, leads inevitably to it being up her ass. There was an overhead of a continum of teaching approaches to disabled students, the "best" of which was Inclusionist, the "worst" of which was a word that I've been having trouble remembering. It starts with P and ends with ognomonic. I fit the description of that approach almost to a T. Except that I have a desire to know everything, so if I encounter a disabled student, I'm going to want to know about their disability, even if I can't accomodate them. They way I see it is that, unless your needs are pretty simple, like a wheelchair ramp or some ritalin, it's not practically feasable to include disabled students in regular Music or Drama programs. If it's a class of disabled students, that would be fine, but a normal curriculum for Drama or Music cannot be run to include all types of students. It's just not physically possible in a lot of ways. I don't want to disclude disabled students from these subjects, I'm just saying that they need an approach to them that cannot be done in a curriculum-based environment.

And, to annoy me further, I accidentally bought the wrong textbook for the course--apparently, there are different texts for different sections.

My EDPS 310 class this morning looks like it'l be a lot of work that I won't want to do, but will be overall quite interesting. It's called a Policy Studies class, but it's title is Managing the Learning Environment, or something to that effect, which means that I get a nice little course on what makes students tick, but without the condecention and impracticality that Ed Psych courses offer. The prof is a Scottish woman with an accent. I can understand her just fine, but I noticed today that when she says the word "fair," it comes uot sounding like "fear," so there were lots of times where she seemed to have said "You can't do that--it's not fear." That made me giggle. ^_^

I have to keep a journal for the Drama course. Naturally. My prof said that someone had put it perfectly in that you can't fart in the Drama department without being required to reflect on it. I was considering having my opening entry mention that I am a bad person. I'd avoid terms like Jungian Shadow and go instead for simply stated ambiguity of the sardonic variety. But I like my prof in such a way that means that I don't feel the need to make her wary of me. Her name's Gail. My stage manager friend Lester hadn't heard of her.

I'm half an hour into a five and a half hour break. I'm gonna eat lunch and hang, then go back to the bookstore, then go home and shower before my EDPY 303 class at 3. I'm dressed unusually today because I can't find some of my clothes. I have a hoodie and a cardigan that I can't find. They're not in the wash, nor anywhere in my closet or dresser. I am confused. But when I go home, I won't be in such a rush (I woke up an hour late this morning), and I'll therefore be able to pick out clothes that aren't so hodge-podge. Because it's all about looking cool.

No comments: