1/31/2007

Positive Title

It is Wednesday afternoon, and there is an Australian guy in my bathroom who actually says "mate" a lot. He's stabilizing the toilet because the floor's uneven and talking to somebody on his walkie-talkie. Apparently, we should have the floor redone so that it's level. Maybe later.

I have my meeting with my University Facilitator for my APT tonight. I don't want to go. This could be done via e-mail with only half an hour's worth of work on the adviser's part, but we have to go in a listen to her talk for an hour instead. It's far more inconvenient to skip, though, so I'll be going.

My parents left this morning. It's been snowing all day, so I'd say they chose a good time for a vacation. *jealous grumble*

I'm not quite sure why the repair guy keeps flushing the toilet when all he's doing is putting little plastic wedges underneath it... Oh, well, he just finished, and it doesn't seem like any pipes have burst, so it's all good.

My class had a "field trip" to the Bandstand this morning. They gave us an insane amount of brochures and sample CDs and whatnot. I think I'm going to have to organize a lot of this stuff that I've been getting and put it in binders or something. Not that a lot of the brochures will stay terribly relevant in terms of what they're promoting, but having the publisher information or manufacturerer information or whatnot might be good. We got a seating chart template today, for instance, that we'll have to fill out and submit for festivals, apparently, so I might keep that. Am I being a keener?

I'm in a bit of a better mood than I was yesterday, which I'm glad about. I noticed that my last two posts had rather negative titles and I thought I should add something less melancholy. Tom e-mailed us, though (speaking of my second-last post), admitting that the Curriculum Guides for Secondary Music are no longer on the Alberta Ed website. He didn't believe me when I told him yesterday. See, we need the General Music Curriculum Guide for our Unit and Lesson Plan assignments, and the library's out, so the fact that they're not online anymore (apparently, they were last year) is kind of important. Their not being online doesn't surprise me, though--they never even bothered to write a junior high General Music Curriculum Guide, so I guess they figured that nobody needed the high school one enough to keep it online.

Anecdote: When I was in junior high school, I wanted to switch instruments. I asked Mrs. Burns about this and she said I was bored. I was more or less like "Well, yeah." So she gave me scale exercises to work on.

Another Anecdote: I was writing in my journal (not diary--journal) before my first class one October morning in the tenth grade, as I often did, and I noted that Mr. Speers said something directly to me. It was the first time he'd spoken to me outside of teaching class. I didn't hear what he said.

Yet Another Anecdote: When I started high school, after a while, I decided to try again for another instrument. Mr. Speers was understandably reluctant to let a 10th grade student in the advanced band start a new instrument (I had asked for the bari sax). I gave up on it, but Joyce mentioned in passing to Mr. Speers that I'd really wanted it. He apparently sighed and told her to tell me to come see him. I was horribly embarassed at what probably came across as egomania on my part and avoided Mr. Speers for a good month afterwards.

One Last Anecdote: In the 11th grade, I signed up for Beginning Band (which is just Concert Band with a cheaper rental fee) on the bari sax. I even rented one over the summer so that I could hold my own and Mr. Speers ande Mrs. V-K wouldn't try to talk me into withdrawing. I didn't tell Jeremy, with whom I was studying at the time--he found out at the first concert. He mock-yelled at me and I thought for a second he was serious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just throw the shit out. The Bandstand guy I deal with gives me more every time I see him, and the publishers are listed on the website.

But if they gave you a sample method book, that might be worth keeping.

Doug.