11/09/2007

Friday

I'm in the Education building because three seperate computers in FAB had problems with the Authentication program, and I gave up in disgust. *sigh*

The TA gave today's lecture in 282. It was on Stravinsky. We were talking about Rite of Spring (of course), and he mentioned the importance of rhythm. He asked a kind of throw-away question about whether we thought that rhythm was the most important, fundamental element of music. A few people nodded. This one girl who's about 27, I'd say, and who eats a bagel noisily every class and insists on using a thermos for her coffee instead of a mug, and therefore opens and closes it (noisily) every few minutes, said that even the most primitive forms of music, where neanderthals hit a rock, has rhythm. A couple other comments were made, and I raised my hand. I said that I disagree because you can't have music that is just rhythm, since rhythm is not audiar. There needs to be sound in order for it to be music. The keener in the back who talks too much and reminds me of a less intelligent Adam Burgess didn't get it and argued with me about the large role of rhythm in hitting rocks together.

*hates self*

Now, my argument may not hold water, because as much as there can't be music without sound, sound cannot exist outside of time, as far as I know. Time (more commonly referred to as rhythm) and sound (more commonly referred to as pitch) are both necessary for the existence of music, as far as I can tell. It's like thinking of a staff as a graph. I still wouldn't call rhythm the most important element of music, though. I'd probably attempt to come up with a term that includes both rhythm and pitch, like how space-time is one dimention. Pitch-rhythm.

If Stravinsky was gay, why did he have a mistress?

There's still no chai in the Ed cafeteria. This makes me sad. I've been drinking Red Rose tea lately instead. The tea is good, and I've been adding honey to it, but it's just not spicy like chai. :-(

Four-day weekend coming up!! I am soooo looking forward to actually getting stuff done. Usually my weekends go as such: Spend Saturday catching up on sleep and generally relaxing, which is required for me to survive, then spend Sunday at work. I'll still do all that this weekend, but then I'll have Monday and Tuesday to do things like organize my bank records that have been piling up in my drawer.

Concert Band rehearsal yesterday was in Con Hall because the percussion equipment had all been moved there for an upcoming Wind Ensemble concert, and on my way back to FAB afterwards, I saw an advertisement for the play What the Butler Saw, less than an hour later at Timms. I called Peter to see if he wanted to go, but he had schoolwork to do, so I decided to get dinner instead of go to the play by myself. I was hoping to go tonight, but tonight is the Wind Ensemble concert. I am so jealous of how often they're performing. Not that I'd want to perform that often with Concert Band. But I'm bored. And I sit next to the 3rd euphonium player, who I would like to nominate for having the worst sense of time in the band. And the echo-y sound in Con Hall made Symphonic Songs for Band go even more out of time than usual. I have not been enjoying rehearsal lately. So I'm going to go to the Wind Ensemble concert tonight, and hopefully the play tomorrow night. :-)

No comments: