5/09/2006

It's Spring Term for Tommy and EDSEEEEE!

I'm watching a CSI rerun. On Spike, of course. I'm killing time while waiting for the vet to call me back. Farley came home last night. He's doing well. I'm assuming that the reason the vet called earlier (and then I called him and he'll call me back when he has a minute) is because Farley needs a different kind of anti-biotic. They had to culture the bacteria, and it wasn't finished when I picked him up yesterday. They also gave him a different lamshade that's too small, so I've been having to watch him closely so that he doesn't lick himself. I'll get a new one the next time I go in.

So I'm taking EDSE 446, the jazz program in schools class foremerly taught by Dominic Spera, now by Tom Dust. Two days out of five are over. There are 13 of us, only three of whom are proficient in a jazz band instrument--Ben, this guitarist and I. Well, there's one girl who can play legit piano reasonably well, but she's on trombone. And there's a bassist, but she's also on trombone. The lab band makes me twitch. Plus, playing with people who can't play very well is difficult. But the course isn't all that bad. It's all stuff I already know, but it's an easy pass/fail three credits in five days, so I'm really not complaining.

Oh, and apparently Aaron Keyes is dead. I hadn't heard. Depressed because of his divorce and ODed while doing a cruise ship gig. Too bad--he was a pretty great trumpet player.

Tuesdays are quite possibly my favourite day of the week. Plus, the Gilmore Girls season finale is on tonight!!!! *stoked*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honestly, you need to check yourself. You may know a lot about Jazz, but lets see you run your own band program without your students eating you alive. (You have a hard time getting people's attention.) A school band program is NOT only a Jazz program. I bet you'll be one of those teachers who only like their perfect jazz band children. Unfortunately, i hated teachers like you. Good luck in any musical endevour that your may encounter. I hear music teacher burn out is 5 years. Yours may be sooner.

P.S. I may not be a Jazz musician, but i can bet your ass that i've been playing my insturument for MUCH longer than you. I started in 1986 which makes it 20 years. BOOYA!!!

Anonymous said...

yeah don't be such a jazz snob - get a life.