10/16/2007

A List of Changes I Have Observed

1. Breakfasts go in and out of fashion in FAB. When I was in first year, it was all about the French Toast from Eurasian Bistro. In second year, it changed to coffee and a loafer from Cookies by George. I was rather fond of that one. Bagels from Java Jive have been a constant undercurrent, the crew neck t-shirts of breakfast. Over the past while, I replaced getting breakfast from HUB with getting breakfast from Starbucks. Not that much more expensive, actually, if I'm reasonable about the caffeinated beverage I purchase. I don't know what's in fashion for breakfast right now in FAB. I wonder if breakfast sandwiches from Subway will ever catch on.

2. The introduction of exclamation!points into online language was something I kind of missed the start of. I was too stubborn about it--I liked my compoundwords. It's turned out to be a very useful application of a punctuation mark. I'm waiting for it to be adopted into search engines, much like the comma. I think the reason that inexperienced people have difficulty with the internet is that they don't know what to look for. I was sitting around the other day while my father was looking up prices on vacation packages to various beach!destinations, and he actually had a pretty good grasp on what he was doing. The exclamation!point is probably something he won't get for a while, though. The [square bracket] (yes, I know that's redundant, shut up) is a good cousin to the exclamation!point, and would probably be easily understood by people like my dad, but [brackets], unfortunately, have their own logical meaning already. It's bad enough that IMs turn math equations into a string of emoticons you didn't even know you could type.

3. My wardrobe has become more and more filled with Old Navy clothing lately. This makes sense, since I've been working there for about five months now, but it was something I was sort of hoping to avoid, for the most part. I'm actually dressed entirely in Old Navy clothing today, except for my shoes, which I wish people would stop buying so that we could stop selling them, because they're a pain to keep organized. Now, granted, my sweater is five years old and I love it to death, but I didn't decide to work at Old Navy because I liked the clothing. I'm actually rather apathetic about it. I wanted to work there because it was a big store and I'd be working with many people. If I wind up quitting sometime within the next few months, I think I'm going to do a purge of all the jeans I've purchased that I don't particularly care for. I won't feel bad about donating them, though, because I got them at either 40 or 50 percent off, for the most part, and they served an important function while I needed them.

4. The house I live in, along with every building that surrounds it for a one-mile radius, at least, is less than five years old. I remember being in my old house, which was the first thing that was *mroe* than five years old at the time, and thinking how crazy it was that everything was expanding so quickly. The housing boom in Edmonton can be attributed to a handful of things, most of which also explain housing booms across North America lately. When I lived in Blue Quill, there were the sounds of construction from the redoing of 23rd avenue behind my house. When I lived in Whitemud Hills, there was construction for the houses immediately surrounding me, then for the houses immediatly South. In my new house, there's construction all around me, and I've gotten way too many flat tires for my liking. I joke that it's not home without construction, because it's been there steadily for more or less my whole life. Each time I've moved, though, it's been farther into the middle of nowhere. I'm getting rather annoyed with it.

5. Many of my friends' blogs have been either neglected or abandonned entirely in recent months. Largely, this is due to the surge in popularity of Facebook. I find it interesting that it was Facebook that distracted people from Blogger, rather than something else. Things like MySpace and LiveJournal are centred around blogs, so despite their community aspects, they aren't that likely to lure people away from the blogs they already have. It's surprising, though, that Facebook, which, while it has a blog aspect to it, is rarely used as a blog, would *replace* Blogger. But I guess that Facebook is as much of an everything site as exists right now, especially with the addons. The supermarket of online social networking and communication. I want something a tad better, personally. Maybe if I made myself some sort of package deal with Facebook, Blogger, Livejournal and IM, I'd be happy. They should come out with that. Call it the "Never Be Alone Again" software bundle. Adapt it for cellphones.

No comments: