10/23/2007

The Soul, as Seen Through One's iPod

I found a meme while blog surfing where you write down the first 25 songs your iPod (or whatever you have) comes up with when you set it to shuffle. I contemplated maybe restricting my list to within my "Contemporary" playlist, at least, but using the whole library got interesting enough results. I'm surprised at the under-representation of classical music on here, as well as the over-representation of music that's been sitting in my library ever since I leant my mom my iPod years ago. Enjoy my editorial comments. ^_^

1. Chained to You – Savage Garden (Their first CD was so much better. This one's all about his divorce. And it's all pop-influenced, like they're trying to be a boy band. Blech.)

2. Gangsta’s Paradise – Coolio (You know you loved it.)

3. White Houses – Vanessa Carlton (This didnt' do well as a radio single, and the whole album got dropped from promotion. That makes me sad.)

4. Chameleon – Martin/Waters (I know some of you may want to disown me for this, but I don't know this song. It's from one of the Jazz History CDs, and I don't think I listened to it beyond my need to pass that course.)

5. Every Other Time – Some Manufactured Boy Band (I can't remember the name of the group, but it's a hilarious song about a dysfunctional teenage relationship.)

6. Take a Picture – Filter (A One-Hit Wonder. Kind of too bad.)

7. You Don’t Mess Around with Jim – Jim Croce (One of my mom's. She got upset when I remarked on how similar some of his songs were, once. *sigh*)

8. Curbside Prophet – Jason Mraz (Another one whose commercial success stalled when I didn't want it to. :-( ...)

9. Heatnoise – Bruno Deazio (From a sampler CD of electroacoustic pieces Paul Stienhuissen gave my class the year he had to teach the introductory Music Technology course. I think I've listened to this song onece.)

10. Girl with the Flaxen Hair – Jens Lindemann (Debussy, of course. The opening track on Jens' first solo album. So pretty. And the double high Cs are in tune~!)

11. Before You – Chantal Kreviaszuk (I liked this song at one point. I'm kind of over it now.)

12. Can’t Buy Me Love – The Beatles (Another one of my mom's, but I don't mind having it on my iPod.)

13. Criss-Cross – Thelonious Monk (Ok, so maybe people don't have to *completely* disown me. I know this one.)

14. Heart of the House – Alanis Morissette (A quaint one from her second album, which, for some reason, people think of as being quaint on the whole. People can be stupid.)

15. Show Biz Kids – Steely Dan (From a greatest hits CD, a song I don't know all that well.)

16. Duncan – Paul Simon (Don't remember ever listening to this one, though I may have, what with Peter's love of Paul's music.)

17. Trumpet Concerto no 1 in Eb – Adagio – performed by Hakan Hardenberger (I don't feel like rummaging around to find something that will tell me *which* trumpet concerto this is--it's from a CD of a bunch of them, and, yes, I've listened to it several times.)

18. The Passportal – Team Sleep (from The Matrix Reloaded soundtrack, which I bought for the Chateau track. I've never listened to this song before.)

19. What a Scene – Goo Goo Dolls (Would've been a single from Gutterflower if the album's popularity had lasted enough. Not as carefully-crafted lyrics as the songs in Dizzy Up the Girl, but very recognizably a Goo Goo Dolls CD.)

20. Track 05 (A trumpet etude of some kind. I don't recognize it off the top of my head. I thought the only etudes I had on my iPod were Small etudes and Arbans, but I don't think this is either.)

21. Sex and Candy – Marcy Playground (A guilty pleasure. :-D)

22. Moody Blues – Elvis Presley (Another of my mom's. Again, I don't mind so much.)

23. Cecilia – Simon and Garfunkle (I remember dancing with the babysitter to this song years ago. Good times.)

24. Are You Still Mad – Alanis Morissette (Also from her second album. About being the bad guy in a relationship. I'd say, overall, that this album feels guilty.)

25. Good Mother – Jann Arden (I think I originally owned this on casette. Considering that I never bothered to buy any of her other albums, I'm surprised I bought this one on CD.)

I encourage you all to play along! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I am glad you like some of my music.

Mom