8/07/2005

I Am Such a Geek

So this afternoon I went to look at school supplies. I'd decided to not let myself buy them until next weekend, but I went to look today because everything's out and there were a bunch of kids shopping for supplies, and, I must admit, I think it's kinda fun. ^_^ Anyway, nowhere, NOWHERE in Staples was there a single Bic Crystal pen in black. Boxes and boxes of blue, but not a single black, not even any assorted packs. I was somewhat distressed, because these are the pens that I love and use daily. I was also having trouble finding highlighters that came in six colours, because I'm actually 8 years old and I like to doodle in highlighters when I get bored in class. ^_^

So, not willing to accept defeat, I abandonned the glitz and glamour of Staples and headed for the no-frills business supply world of Office Depot. And I found black Bic Crystal pens!!!! In 12-packs!! They had seven boxes, and I was soooo tempted to buy them out, feeling much like Charles Schultz, but I restricted myself to three. God willing, that should last me a while. They were cheap, too! If you bought three boxes, they were $1.79 a box, or regular $1.99. Less cheap were the highlighters I found, about $5.50, but they had six colours, were nice and small so I can carry them in my pencil case, and they have a liquid ink supply instead of just the ink-soaked pad like Crayola markers, so they'll last for years. Nonetheless, I bought two packages, in case I lose a set again. ^_^ I allowed myself to buy these on the basis that I couldn't find them anywhere else and wanted to make sure that I got them while I knew I could, but I also caved on a two-pack of Sharpies, because every package of them at Staples makes you buy either a huge one or at least five of the regluar ones. The rest of my stuff (I desperately need duotangs) will have to wait until next weekend. The highlighters and Sharpies are currently sitting beside me, and every couple of minutes, I trun at look at them affectionately. ^_^

In other news, the place we got our coffee machine from is not the place that Andy took his machine to be repaired, but I'm now tempted to suggest that he take it there, because the place he's taken it to seems rather unsuccessful at fixing it. My father read the instruction manual for our machine, and while that's probably the lesser of the two evil possibilities (the other being that he doesn't read the instruction manual and just pushes buttons until something gets messed up), it does give him the impression that He Is Right, and so he yelled at me when I told him it was of no use to me that you could adjust the amount of foam on the automatic milk steamer when I wanted to steam my milk manually. After proclaiming that, Fine, he would never tell me anything ever again, you snotty little kid, he stormed off and I could enjoy my coffee in peace. I was kind of disappointed, though, because my dad hasn't been that explosive in a number of years. He had mellowed out nicely since getting his cushy judge job, so I'm really hoping that this is an isolated event.

Lastly, I'm going to steal an idea from Kaitlyn and ask you all a question that you can reply to in the comments. Because I Really Am a Geek: If you were a school supply, what would you be and why?

4 comments:

Keeks said...

Well...my favorite school supply is the bic fine tip ballpoint dark blue pen. And i think that's exactly what I would want to be. It's sharp, precise, and to the point. (hee hee). And good pens are always needed and hard to find.

Anonymous said...

I think I would want to be a felt pen/smelly marker type deal. Kids love them and always want to use and play with them! Being one would certainly make anybody feel loved....

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I remember those smelly markers! It was always a contest to see whose could be in the best shape by the end of the year, and so there were elite cliques of people who took good care of them, and who were therefor allowed to borrow from the good set and good lord, the priorities of a 7-year-old...

I'm totally having a hard time chooseing. I'd like to be a lunch kit, because those things were fun quasi-fashion statements. I like blue highlighters... Backpacks take too much abuse... Oh! I know!! I'd want to be a Pentel P205 mechanical pencil! They're a little pricey, but they're the best mechanical pencil I've ever found, and they're pretty, too. A definate staple, though I wouldn't want to be a staple... Ah, stupid English language...

Anonymous said...

I'd be one of those Crayola kids' scissors. Seems sharp enough, but yet totally harmless.