8/18/2005

My Political Blog

It's still raining, but the forecast last night said that it would be getting warm and sunny again starting tomorrow. Not that I really mind it being rainy, but there's only so many months of the year where it's really possible for it to be warm and sunny, so I'd rather defer the rain until those months have past. Farmers, shmarmers...

Glennys stayed with Peter Tuesday night, so I got to see her again. I also crashed at Peter's place on Tuesday, since the maid service was going to invade my house at 8:30 the next morning, and I didn't feel like being woken up and thrown out that early. I tried to find the piece I'd written about the night my mom thought the creamed spinach was ticking for Glennys, but it wasn't on my harddrive. I'll have to go searching to see if I have a hard copy around, then maybe retype it and post it here. I can't remember what was actually ticking, but watching my mom hold the dish of creamed spinach up to her ear was the most surreal experience...

Peter was mock-teasing me the other night that my blog actually requires reading, as opposed to, apparently, Kaitlyn's. I apparently use more complex structures that are less condusive to skimming, which is what he tends to do with most friendly blogs. The political ones, however, he seems to read avidly. This Modern World, Daily Kos, etc... Not that I don't love that little dog ("FOUR MORE YEARS!!"), but political blogs aren't really my bag. I mean, I could write one, for sure, but it would an entirely different genre than most political blogs. Firstly, it would be Canadian politics, and while that's not exactly a dry well, it's much less... dangerous to write about, for lack of of a more witty phrase. Secondly, it would be much more focused on the cogs of the government, rather than ideologies. Thirdly, I tend to find political tension amusing, as opposed to being incensed by it. Not so much amusing like editorial cartoons, but just that I find it funny that anything is made into a big deal, since I know that it either didn't matter to start with or will be forgotten within six months. Often both. And fourthly, I realize this truth: It's not that politicians lack common sense, it's that they know that it's impossible for any reaction to their thoughts and decsisions to be rational, so they alternate between doing the best they can and deciding to hang it and just get something done.

And then there's the guy who's a Canadian citizen, who was married and divorced and remarried in Asia, and is trying to sponsor his second wife to come to Canada. His request is being denied because his divorce wasn't valid. Meanwhile, his ex-wife got remarried in BC and successfully sponsored her second husband.

No comments: