11/14/2005

New Post!

And a good Monday to you all. I've just discovered that my left pinky hurts, so maybe this won't be quite the long, rambling post it could be. Shucks.

Sadly, the extra-long weekend came to an end, and the week had the gaul to start with Monday, the worst of all days. Surprisingly, I got through it just fine. My lesson didn't phase me. Well, I mean I worked and we got stuff accomplished, but it didn't freak me out like it sometimes does. I voluntarily played in rep class. Conducting was a bit of a gong show, but I wasn't one of the people really involved. I was explaining the difference between a gong and a tam tam to Peter the other day. Technically speaking, it's pretty simple, but the classic "gong" sound is really most often a tam tam, so it's confusing to actually listen to.

Oh, good lord. The new Telus commercial for their tv cell phones with the rabbits is ridiculously cute. I don't know if rabbits are actually capable of covering their eyes with their ears, but that shot was insane. I enjoy cute, but I know objectively that that is just so saccarine that the "awww!" runs headlong into the "yikes!" and all I manage to make is a small choking sound.

I had a Music Student Moment today. I got in the car to go home and U2's "Verigo" was playing on the radio. I turned it off right away to make a phone call, but I had the weird impression that the bit of the chorus I'd heard was a remix. And as I thought about it, I realised that the bass line was a stock arpeggiating bass line, which isn't what the song uses (I'm not gonna try to describe what the bass line actually does in written English). It briefly occured to me that I didn't really care to know that much about a bad U2 song, but I was quickly distracted by the discovery that if I try to make two of my power windows close while they're closed, my headlights dim. A person in the house I was in front of actually peered out at me.

Show of hands: Whose dad talks to the televised football/hockey/curling/extreme knitting game? My dad knows all about football, you know. He actually has an old football injury. He did something to his knee in highschool and had to have surgery. It became the thing to complain about when it was no longer reasonable to expect that his hip would hurt after it was replaced.

I have a confession: I'm actually quite excited about Christmas. I know it's still a ways away, but now that Rememberance Day is over, I don't feel so guilty about browsing through the ornaments in the Bay. ^_^ I enjoy shopping for Chirstmas gifts during the rush, I enjoy fussing over hors d'oeuvres before an eggnog and rum gathering (though I don't like eggnog, but you get what I mean), and I even enjoy the large amounts of snow. The only thing I don't like about Christmas is that there are never enough people around. Christmas morning is always just my parents and I. And my dog. One or both of my siblings come over later in the day, but it's just hard to be festive when the only thing that's going on is your parents looking at you expectantly to make sure everything is going well. I would love to wake up to a place full of a dozen or two people, and we could all chat and have cranberry pancakes and open gifts without requiring formalities worthy of an initiation into a cult. I think it would have kicked ass if Andy and Shelly had done a joint Christmas morning this year, and I could attend that. But Andy and Shelly broke up last weekend and I do still live with my parents, who do actually have the best of intentions.

Ok, so I guess my pinky sucked it up, because this was in fact quite a long post. Brave little pinky. I think I may shed a tear. And y'all think I'm kidding...

2 comments:

Joyce said...

I'm the most scroogey, hard to shop for, worst gift getter EVER. ^_^ Well, that might be getting carried away, but it was sure fun to write.

Anonymous said...

Hey Janita!
I just had to answer your "show of hands" question. You see, both my dad and I ~yell~ at the tv screen during various sporting events. And yes, I am aware that the people on tv cannot hear me or see my gesturing, but that doesn't change anything, because I am Canadian and passionate for CFL and hockey. As for the extreme knitting...well...I have to admit I haven't seen that one yet. Maybe tomorrow. Or today? Whatever, it's 4:15am.