9/09/2005

Third Day of Classes

I promise this will be the last entry dedicated to an individual day of classes. This completes my trilogy.

So, after much worry about not having received the e-mail about my Scene Study course, I got it this morning. I'm in! Yay! Class was more or less cancelled, though; the Drama orientation was this morning, and a few of us met at the class before heading over there. Well, rather, I headed over to make sure I didn't have to do anything to register myself in the class, and then _they_ headed to the Drama orientation. I headed to the free pancake breakfast. Mmm. :-) Two blueberry pancakes and one chocolate chip pancake later, I went and prepped for my Wind Ensemble audition. Peter showed up while I was in a practice room and gave me a Coke. I have no idea where he got it. It crossed my mind that he was trying to poison me. Or maybe he just got it at grad student orientation this morning. Either way.

My audition went reasonably well. I played prettily, if I may say so. I mispitched a couple of times on the sightreading, but, hey, I'm the one who decided to play a brass instrument. We have a graduate trumpet player this year. Ashley says she has a masters in trumpet, and is currently working on her doctorate, but she isn't taking lessons with either Russ or Al as far as I know, so I'm not sure what she's doing. Well, she's teaching Aural Skills and auditioning for Wind Ensemble, apparantly. Three cheers for an uncontested section leader.

After my audition, I had two hours of boredom. I so can't wait for stuff to actually start up. I drank the Coke Peter gave me. I guess it wasn't poisoned. Or maybe it's a time release poison, and I'll drop dead later tonight. We'll see. Conducting class was pretty good. We got further in this one class than in a week of the conducting musicianship class I took at Camrose. The presence of Jackie and Beth was much appreciated. There's this older ladie that Jackie knows in the class, though, and she has the unfortunate habit of speaking to everybody like they're a moderately intelligently, slightly obstinant 12-year-old. Penny in my Drama 149 class spoke like that. Then again, she was also the Psychology major who believed that people would lose every ounce of self-control and rational thought the second they inhaled/swallowed/huffed/were in the general vicinity of anybody doing any of that. Some people just make my head hurt.

I had to go home, because I had my mom's car, and I needed to give it back and go with her to pick mine up from the shop. Something was wrong with the starter, and it died on Tuesday. Inconvenient. Thus, I got to Peter's later than I wanted to. Sean, Alyssa and John came over for a going away dinner for Sean. Peter made Bouchon stuff--butternut squash soup, salmon with leeks and beurre blanche, and tarte tatin, which is kind of an apple upsidedown cake. Soooo good. He took the rest over to his mom's, otherwise I would have eaten more. It's relatively simple, though, so maybe I'll get him to make it again. It can be his new lemon tart. Now we're all sitting upstairs with Mario Power Tennis. Despite only having had a small glass of wine and the smallest taste of port (mmmm...) tonight, I feel like I've had a lot to drink. I don't feel drunk, I just feel like I've consumed a lot of alcohol, possibly because I've focused on the stuff I've had. Now I feel guilty. I have no idea why--John's here, so I look bone dry in comparison.

Anyway, now I'm just rambling on while I watch John and Dave play tennis. I love the fact that I can watch and type at the same time. John's losing. Peter's ranting about Phys Ed curriculums. Jo, have you ever had this discussion with him?

4 comments:

Jo said...

No, I can't say that I have ever had this discussion with him...but it would definitely be something to consider:) What was he saying????????? And what is it that he wants to discuss?

'Nita said...

Oh,he was just saying that there are certain sports that shouldn't be in the PE curriculum. He mentioned breaking his arm. I wasn't paying that much attention. I think he also said something about including sports that required very specific talents, which most students would therefore do poorly in. I was just wondering if this was maybe something you'd been subjected to before, being a PE minor. ^_^

Anonymous said...

They actually changed the PE curriculum recently (when I did my practicum, they had just implemented it) that makes it much more user friendly. No sport is actually in the curriculum, and much discretion is left up to the instructor. You should tell Peter that he can check out the curricumlum on line if he wants. Or he can email me:)

'Nita said...

Oh, hey, neat. And thank God.