3/09/2006

Anouncement!

What: Gathering!
When: Saturday, March 18, at 7:oo pm
Where: Numchok Wilai, on 124th street, just south of 107th avenue
Why: To eat yummy Thai food!
Who: Everybody who can make it! I'll send e-mails out because I know that not everybody interested reads this blog.

---

So I totally just had a sitcom moment. I had done a couple of loads of laundry that I hadn't had time to fold, but the maid service was coming this morning. I stashed one load in the washing machine and one in the dryer. Can you see it coming? Yeah, my mom "did me a favour" and washed the stuff that was in the washing machine, including my Lulu Lemon stuff and some stuff that isn't machine washable, but wound up in there anyway because I didn't have time to fold it, either. I hope it's all alright...

The second wind band candidate, a euphonium player who came in today, was less than impressive. He looked very professional in his silk tie with his Powerpoint presentation in Band Techniques this morning, but all that got him was getting me to put the word "boardroom" into my descriptive phrase "boardroom hippy crap." It was kind of like what the pointy-haired boss in Dilbert would sound like if he was doing a concept speech on music. A few of the lines I wrote down are:

Him: What do we learn through music?
Us: *silent--we know his answer is on the next slide*
Him: Music should move like feelings feel.

Him (and his Powerpoint slide): You are your students' musical nutritionist. Are you going to feed them a healthy, balanced diet, or the musical equivalent of junk food?

Him (more times than I could clount): [blather]... meritorious... [blather]

He really liked that word.

His Wind Ensemble rehearsal was on the low side of average. He's obviously a school band director--very good cues, absolutely no expression. And he biffed his time management by only leaving 7 minutes for Postcard, which he told us he'd never seen until this week. He only screwed up the meter twice, but even with essentially just running the piece, he went over the time limit and didn't get to give any demonstration of how he would rehearse such a piece. He spent most of his time on the Hindemith, which I think he thought we knew better. Speaking of, though, I got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that we're not playing the Hindemith on the concert next week like I thought we were--we're playing Sketches on a Tudor Psalm instead, which I like. The bad news is that that means that Wind Ensemble will be having a fifth concert this year. Bugger. I don't know if it'll be in Con Hall or if we're being dragged to Cantando again. I hope it's the former. Cantando is so late to be having a concert. Too many people have gone home for the summer by then. But, on the other hand, it would give us more time to rehearse...

I wonder how Ben is doing student teaching in his Catholic junior high school...

No comments: