3/02/2006

>-(

It is Thursday and I am frustrated for reasons I can't explain. I will be meeting Peter for dinner at 6, then going to the Wind Sinfonia concert at 7:30. I don't particularly want to, but I really need to review the conducting for my band Tech course. And, really, when I make myself think about, I really like Wind Sinfonia.

Is it wrong that my two favourite classes right now are Wind Ensemble and Band Techniques? Wind Ensemble is amusing, sitting next to Katie and playing what is relatively easy music if you're just looking at one part. And Band Techniques has been really interesting and useful lately. My other classes include lessons, which I'm kind of apathetic towards right now, History, which was a great class, but the Renaissance unit has me lost, and Speech, where my prof is being a prick. He seems to have this idea that I'm horribly shy, too, which is weird...

But Wind Ensemble is not without its trials. We have a concert two weeks from tomorrow with the Northern Alberta Honour Band, which is the non-audition-based one (*cringe*), and for our three pieces, we've got a trombone concerto that Audrey's doing by... Grandan? Gaudan? I can't remember, but it's not all that difficult, just annoying to rehearse without the soloist. We're also playing this Hindemith piece which would be really cool if we had a couple of months instead of a couple of weeks. The kicker, though, is that Dr. Street went looking for an easy piece to give us so we could devote more rehearsal time to the other stuff, and he came up with... Postcard! He thinks that since we played it a couple of years ago, it'll be no problem. Now, I know these numbers are a bit generalized, but just bear with me, here: If everybody spends four years playing in Wind Ensemble and there is an equal amount of people from each year, then only half the players will know a piece from two years ago. If everybody spends their first year in Concert Band and their next three years in Wind Ensemble, as is common, and there is an equal number of people from the other three years in Wind Ensemble, then only one third of the players know a piece from two years ago. We just got the music for Postcard today, and Dr. Street put poor Katie and Chelsea on the spot to polish this one section, even though they were in high school two years ago and were sightreading today. *sigh*

And now I'm worked up enough that the idea of going to the Wind Sinfonia concert is making me twitch. I should go calm down...

No comments: