3/07/2006

New Krua Wilai!

Wilai has opened a new restaurant on 124th street, literally three blocks from Peter's Dad's place! It's called Numchok Wilai. Same stuff, same prices, same people. Although I couldn't find fish cakes on the menu and didn't ask, but I hardly read the menu front-to-back and, really, it's fish cakes. They're a staple.

So I declare we must gather there. I shall send out an e-mail when Peter can remember his work schedule, but I was thinking within the next two or three weeks for sure.

Fo sho.

In other news, the recent influx of young crazy people to the music department in the past couple of years has caused some truly ridiculous drama. So, there's Katie, the lesbian trumpet player who has had some psychological problems in the past; she gets these... ideas, that can make her really happy and really disappointed. Like, for instance, she wanted to order pizza to the lownjlounge and got all worked up, but then they called BPs and found out that they didn't deliver until 4pm, and then she became really upset by the notion of pizza, or of even just going to Academy. This is how stuff often works with her--she builds things up in her head that make her feel horrible when they don't happen. She's planned so many trips abroad that I've lost count. She was going to go to... New Zealand, I think it was, last summer. Yeah...

Anyway, this is not an essay about Katie. This is about how Jackie, this second-year horn player, is dating everybody's favourite Dan Davis. Katie, as I mentioned, is a lesbian. Everybody who has so much as passed her in the hallway knows this. She's also only had one girlfriend, who happened to be straight, but just liked her, apparently. I don't know if it's that, or if she's just delusional, but there have been at least three straight girls that she's tried to "convert" since I've met her, the third of which is Jackie.

Now, I posted the story of Katie getting jealous at the Formal and drinking herself stupid _very_quickly_. It seems, however, that Katie did not give up then. This weekend, or maybe yesterday, I'm not sure, Katie was talking to Jackie. She was concerned about Dan. According to Katie, this was of import because she (Katie) and Jackie were "dating." Now, that's Jackie's word, and I haven't heard Katie's side of the story for fear of starting her off on some other harmful binge, but, really. Hey, Jackie, I'm concerned that your boyfriend is interfering with the lesbian relationship between us that I have built up in my mind. Scary.

And that's not the worst part. Jackie's reaction was a very understandable WTF?! Katie was angered by this. This morning, she was refusing to speak to Jackie. Jackie tried to initiate conversation by asking her things like what book she was reading, and Katie would respond, by holding up the book, for instance, but would never say anything. This continuted until about halfway through Wind Ensemble (btw, Angela Schroeder proved that it is humanly possible to conduct Postacrd in a way which can be understood by mortal human beings--I was so happy). Then, something happened. I don't know what, but it was like a switch got flipped inside Katie's brain. She overheard Jackie make a bad joke, and she laughed and said "Boo-urns, Jackie, Boo-urns." She had essentially gone back to normal.

Now, what would you do in this situation? A good friend and you have been fighting because of a non-existant lesbian relationship between you two, and suddenly your friend seems to have, I dunno, forgiven you for being straight, or at least decided that your friendship is important enough to not ruin it over unrequited love. Jackie chose to respond by making a kissing gesture at Katie.

That really doesn't seem like the way to discourage amourous advances to me. It was even all pouty-lipped and slow, like the girlfriend in Ferris Bueller's Day off, when the dad is in the next cab. I really don't know what she was thinking.

*sigh*

Not my problem, not my problem, not my problem...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be back in town due to spring break on the 15th, and then again on the 18th. I would love some Wilai!

Doug.

Jo said...

I don't know if/when I'll be home again......but when I do come home, count me in! By the way, did Mike get the restaurant back?

'Nita said...

The old Krua Wilai is still open, but Mike and Wilai have their own at this new location. But it's the same as Krua Wilai when Wilai ran it. We had a long-ish conversation with Mike when we were there, and he told us of the scary state of the kitchen that the previous owners of the sketchy Chinese place left it in.

Jo said...

ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh, SWEET! Now I really can't wait to come home. Let's go Vacation time!!!