3/31/2006

More Thoughts About School

So I just had my advising meeting with Len, and it turns out that, after next year, I only have 6 classes left to finish my program. That's kind of scary.

I had thought I only had five, but for some reason the sheet the department uses to check that you hve all the classes you need doesn't include the three credits in 259, 263, 320 or 451. I could still technically do all six courses in Fall term and finish in December, provided they're all offered and I can fit them into my schedule, but I'm considering either spreading them out over the entire year (and taking a couple extra courses that I've always wanted to take), or maybe taking one of the courses in Spring/Summer of next year, which I know I can do.

So after next year I have to take three more credits of Music History, Choral Techniques, three credits of French, Policy Studies, three credits of Ed Options and one of the above listed courses. I'm really not sure what to do for my Ed Options. There's always a Kodaly or Orff class, but I'm reluctant to venture into EDEL. The other course of Ed Options I'm taking is the School Jazz program course this summer. That'll be great. But I don't know what else to take. I know it's a ways away, but does anybody have any suggestions as to what I could do?

Also, I'm really torn about what to take for those three credits of Music. I can't take 320, since it's a Diction class restricted to Voice majors, but the other three sound really appealing. Orchestration would be so useful and would cover strings, which I otherwise wouldn't get to learn about. Aural Skills I've always liked (yes, I'm a freak), but I'm worried about getting a bad mark because of the keyboard stuff. And Composition is something I've always wanted to take, but I know it's a lot of work, and I'm really not sure what to expect from the course or myself. Hmm. Any suggestions there?

Random thought before leaving: I've taken a lot of Spring/Summer courses. Well, not, like, ten of them or anything, but with the one I'm signed up for this year and the one I might do next year, that's four. Well, ok, so not a lot, but one every year except after my second year. My mom always gets miffed at the idea of me doing Spring/Summer courses because she thinks it'll hurt my chances of getting a job, but I guess that's not a problem this year. And I guess the course I'm doing this Spring isn't even offered in Fall/Winter, and it's dead useful and applies to my degree, so it's really worth it.

Ok, enough procrastinating. I have to conduct this movement from a Dvorak piece in Wind Ensemble today and I don't even know what meter it's in. Time to go panic.

7 comments:

Jo said...

Let's see....I took Ed Band and Orff for my Ed options. I would recommend both, but I dont know if you can take Ed band anymore....I took orchestration, which was useful, and I had Laurie Radford so I got a really good mark. I ALMOST had to take Aural skills (I loved aural skills also) but got out of it only because of a class that was cancelled on me, therefore opening up a space in my schedule for orchestration, or something. I dunno! The only reason I didn't want to take aural skills was because it's full year. Anyhow, good luck deciding!!!

'Nita said...

Yes, Aural Skills being full-year isn't condusive to finishing my degree in December. I always assumed I'd take Orchestration, but Composition is really tempting...

Anonymous said...

I found I ended up doing a LOT of subbing on the EDEL side of things. If I could make a recommendation, it would be to take the Orff class...I really wished I had taken it when I was teaching it non-stop at Victoria school for students more advanced than I! :D

'Nita said...

Amanda Koenig is currently taking that class, and maybe it's just 'cause she's Amanda, but every time she mentions it, it seems... kinda stupid. But I guess I don't know that much about it. Ben took the Kodaly course and raved about it. Bah, I'm just undecided...

qwsydos! Just try saying it out loud!

Jo said...

No, I LOVED the orff class, and Bob is AMAZING!!!! I was registered for Kodaly also, but then my schedule got screwed around again and I had to take something else in that spot....Canadian music or something. BAH!!! Oh yes, and I also ended up subbing in a lot of elementary classes, so it did come in handy! Plus I found that I like it more than band....ooops:) And now I teach preschool!

Anonymous said...

HAHA! I SO totally agree. Teaching elementary was a lot more fun. READ: kids with A LOT LESS ATTITUDE!

Jo said...

Absolutely. That's why I like them 2 and under!!!!!