7/12/2006

Post 220

Today is my birthday, but right now my eyes are really dry from sleeping with my contact lenses in them, so I'm postponing the par-tay-age until I can see properly. And Peter wakes up. And, you know, I have breakfast and get dressed and that kind of stuff. Mmmm, breakfast sounds good. If I were at home, I might make myself some blueberry pancakes, seeing as how there are delicious, delicious blueberries in our fridge. But, unfortunately, I don't think there's fruit here, so I'l probably just have toast. Oh, well. At least that's something healthy to be eating after going to Jack's Grill last night. I had the creme brulee for dessert, and I know better than to eat the sugar on top, but I started out doing so, anyway, and by the time I was was one third of the way through the dessert, my stomach was seriously ticked off. Ah, such a cruel irony: sweet is my favourite indulgence, but I can't eat much of it without feeling rather bad. :-(

Peter got a decanter from his dad that has this little funnel thing that essentially causes the wine to pour in these fine little streams, kind of like a shower head, against the inside of the decanter so that there's more surface area and, therefore, better oxygenation. The waiter noticed it and told us he loved that decanter, and suggested we use it. He cleaned it for us and everything, which was nice, but I found the whole process rather uncomfortable. Dave tried to arrange a blind taste test to see whether Peter could tell the difference between the decanted wine and the non-decanted wine, and, in the back of my head were all these contradictory objections about things like the wine being from two different bottles, so of course the glasses will taste different, even though the wine was a reasonably young Sirah (so there's negligeable difference between bottles). But, at the same time, I had a hard time believing that the decanter wasn't just a gimmick, especially after the waiter told us that it made a bottle of Little Penguin taste actually pretty darn good. Mostly, though, Peter enjoyed the shtick, which is always amusing to watch, and was vauguely concerned that the waiter was displeased by the fact that he wasn't sure he could taste a difference, to which I give a general grimace.

I went to West Ed to come up with a birthday present for Peter yesterday, and while I got a couple of ideas (though I'm not going to get him the "Things You Need to Know About Chuck Norris" t-shirt), I actually wound up spending a lot of money on myself. ^_^ I was looking around Jacob, not expecting to find anything, but I wound up walking out with three tops and a skirt, all of which are very pretty and the total price of which came to what the skirt alone cost at regular price ($80). And I also decided that I have to go poke around the American Eagle in Southgate, because the West Ed one is renovating, but has a temporary location that's very small and cramped, so I couldn't get around easily, but I still found stuff I wanted to consider further. I should go to that store less--I like their stuff too much and wind up spending money that I maybe shouldn't. Oh, well. ^_^

Hmmm... More rambling or making toast? Hmmm... I decide on coffee. (And toast.) :-)

2 comments:

Jo said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JANITA (AND PETER)!! Hope you guys had great birthdays! Wish I was (still) there!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Nita! Happy Belated Birthday Peter! Don't celebrate with Sambuca!