7/21/2006

Summer Excellence

It is Friday night and I am at home by myself blogging. Oh, well. I worked tonight and will be working tomorrow morning, so I guess not being out is for the best. After tomorrow, I only have two shifts left before my time off starts. Then no more working until September! This is both good and bad. Good in that I get to travel and move and stuff, but bad in that I won't be making any money. Speaking of, I got paid today, but I'm not sure how much. Lots would be nice--I'll have to check on that.

I had a life last night, though! I went to the Nelly Furtado concert at Ed Fest, the new music festival that's going along with Capital Ex. I dislike that name. I mean, yeah, the klondike aspect of Klondike Days was outdated, but this new name is just awkward. In any case, I went with Jenilee. We got there just before six, which was when the doors opened. We had a really good spot (it was standing room only), but 45 minutes later, we moved out of the sun and into the shade, since the first act didn't start until seven. The first act sucked. It was this DJ from The Bounce radio station, Kwamei or something, and this guy called DJ Quake, who also works for The Bounce, but only as a mixer. There were a couple of dance groups, too, but I guess they'd planned the act without realizing that it was an all-ages show, so the dancers who were supposed to have their shirts off didn't and the DJ Quake guy kept having to stop songs because of profanity. Plus, I don't like hiphop music, which is what they were playing. >-p

The second act was better, but still not great. It was this Reggae-Rap type guy called Socrates. He was pretty cool, and he played the electric violin on some songs, which would have been great if the connections worked and we could hear it. But alas, things kinda flopped. He performed with Nelly Furtado, though, doing Timbaland's part in "Promiscuous" in the encore and backup vocals and bongos the rest of the time. I really liked Nelly's performance. There was a lot of stuff from her new albun, of course, but I liked it much more live (and I liked it just fine on the CD). She also did all the songs I was hoping she would do: Explode, Turn Out the Lights, etc. And there was a great amount of audience interaction. The crowd sang the first verse and chorus of I'm Like a Bird by themselves. ^_^ All in all, more than worth the $25 the ticket cost.

Elsewise, my life has been quiet. My aunt and uncle are here for a wedding tomorrow. My cousin and her fiance will be arriving tomorrow. I have been requested to stay the night at Peter's so that they can have my bed. I guess that means I should put clean sheets on it...

Lastly, just let me say that I *heart* summer fruit. Right now we have fresh nectarines, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and watermelon. Breakfast tomorrow will be glorious. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, the concert was awesome and I do love fruit as well!!!