12/09/2005

Class Clashes

So since I decided to put off taking French for yet another year, I have found myself with three credits worth of space in my Winter schedule and a strong desire to take another Drama course. See, this past term, I made the mistake of befriending the second-year Drama students, and I would like to continue to see them. Now, after consulting my degree requirements, I have found that I only need one more Drama course. This, I must say, floored me. I need either 240 or 247. They're both Oral Communications courses, but 247 is a kind of remedial stream. If you ever want to see my face turn purple, ask me about the BEd (Secondary) Drama Minor courses that are currently being phased out. *ugh* Anyway, so I need 240. I would also like to take 383, which is a directing course. I have no idea why it isn't mandatory. Drama teachers will obviously need to direct. Now, here are my problems:

1. Bear Tracks is going all Fort Knox and won't let me into either of these courses, no matter what. I'd have to beg my way in via the prof, because the courses are all full (except for one section of 240, but even that only has one spot) and the Drama deptartment doesn't keep waiting lists. Even if the classes had space, I'd have to get Connie at the Drama office to register me because for some reason I haven't yet been able to get around, I cannot seem to declare my minor. Grr. And 240 doesn't even let minors in, strictly speaking.

2. Both sections of 383 and one of the sections of 240 conflict with my existing schedule. Now, one of the 383 sections conflicts with Band Techniques, which I really shouldn't drop, so that's out of the question, but the other two sections conflict with my Music 281, aka The First Half of Music History. I really don't want to take 281. Even in the old stream, I was going to take 272 and 273 and that would be all. Now, I know that I _have_ to take 281 (and 282), but I'm not sure if I need the credit before my APT or not. I certainly have room for both after my APT, but if I have to keep 281 or not be admitted to Ed for next year, then I'm down to the other 240 class. Which is full and I'm strictly speaking not allowed to take, even though it applies directly to my degree. I'm hoping that that discrepancy is just Bear Tracks being behind on things.

So, yeah. This is a little complicated. I am left with a few options:

1. I can drop 281 and try to force myself into 383 or 240 (I think I'd go for 383, since I like the prof and I'll have a better chance of getting into 240 legitimately in a couple of years).

2. I can keep 281 and try to force myself into that one section of 240, hoping that it has the same people I've come to like.

or

3. I can suck it up, leave my schedule as it is and do Drama only through extra-curricular stuff, like acting in the 383 and 483 scenes.

I am annoyed. And sad at the prospect of loosing touch with these people. Stupid 281. I was so excited to take 170. I thought I was finally going to understand all those stupid jokes that people like Ian Munro made about Brahams and the like. But no. It was feminist musicology, Chicago Style and Folkways. And a great many naps and stories about Auntie Brenda's newphews. And even though I quite like Brenda (and she's teaching 281), I have lost faith in the Music History curriculum at the U of A. Maybe I should say fuck it all and take that new 103 course on Popular Music.

No comments: