12/03/2005

For Kaitlyn

My Adventrues with Soy Milk

I got sick. I had a bladder infection. Annoying. I went to the Medicentre. The big Eastern European doctor lady there gave me anti-biotics. Evil antibiotics. I was not allowed to eat dairy with these anti-biotics, lest I get horribly nauseous. So I bought soy milk. Well, first I had to find it. It never occured to me that there would be a type of "milk" that you wouldn't have to refrigerate. Apart from quickly discovering that I got horribly nauseous no matter what I ate while taking the meds, I also discovered that Vanilla soy milk is not the defualt flavour of soy milk. It made a wonderful latte, but didn't go so well in cereal, especially when it was warm. But I got home so desperately wanting cereal, having not had any in a couple of days (and I subsist on cereal), and it didn't occur to me that warm, funky-flavoured soy product would taste bad. I wound up not drinking the entire carton, and when my parents got back into town (they were on a cruise at the time), and they saw it, not only did I have to explain my follies, but I to to tell them why I hadn't thrown it out: it doesn't expire until March. March! So everybody feels guilty about throwing it out. So it'll sit in my fridge at least until March, or possibly until August, to be discarded only when we move.

The trump to this whole situation, though, doesn't have anything to do with soy: the anti-biotics didn't even work.

2 comments:

Jo said...

Gross!!

Keeks said...

What kind of soy milk are you buying?...no milk should last more than a month...not even GOOD soy...